Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Peregrine Falcon Weekly Update-Feb 17th

Like I said last week, I will be doing weekly peregrine falcon updates for those who are interested. Also note that I have included daily observations, locations and times on the right side bar to my blog for those in the area who may want to come see them for yourselves.


The falcons have been busy since my last post. Last week they were spending most of their time over at the Flagship Building, but have moved back to the Unum building in the past 6 days or so. Every morning at least one of them has been in the alcove above I am guessing its defending its territory and enjoying the sun.


This morning I was treated to a little aerial show by one of them that I am guessing is the male. The falcon was flying around our City Hall building which made taking photos a challenge from my office window. I did get a rough one that you can see below. From what I have read, male falcons will do these types of aerial shows around their nests to attract and impress their female mate. Many times this happens around the nest area but City Hall is not in the visual vicinity of the Unum Building so I am a little confused by this. Oh well, it was nice to see anyhow and I am looking forward to seeing again

One of them spent at least 3.5 hours over at the Unum Building this morning. I went outside to get lunch at 11:45 AM and there it sat in the corner to the alcove (first picture above). I took a peek at 3:30 and the male was there too. I grabbed my camera and went to a higher location just as they both flew off and onto the BankNorth Building. These falcons sure like banks!! ;o).
Once again they were very high up so taking photos was a challenge. All three photos below are them on the BankNorth Building.







I am so tempted to get a spotting scope for all of this. Yes I know they are pricey and out of my budget, but boy do I want one right about now.

I have also talked to a couple of parking lot attendants in the city who all know about the falcons and their favorite spots that include the Dedholm Building, the old Brownstone Buildings on Pleasant Street and the 24th Floor to the Sovereign Building where they go to take their young to learn how to fly. Now THAT I can't wait for!!!

Tune in for more info next week and cross your fingers for me that I am outside getting a coffee the next time the male decides to perform for his gal! ;o)








13 comments:

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks for the update. I really enjoy this series!

Craig

Shelley said...

This is very exciting to hear your falcon news! I look forward to every update! What are you going to name them? :-0

Anonymous said...

Good job/photos!

Anonymous said...

Oh, birding has it's upfront costs, then you'll need a good tripod, a couple of more reference guides...

Thanks for the update, this is exciting!

Larry said...

Isn't it nice to have a Peregrine to bring some natural character to the city.-I bought a Vortex Sandpiper zoom scope for about $320 and it isn't too bad.You can by an alpen zoom scope for about 150 but the eyepiece is very small.-

Whatever you do, don't get a cheap tripod. A good tripod costs about 300 dollars and will make even an inexpensive scope useable but a cheap tripod can make your viewing experience very unpleasant.

I enjoy the fact that you are taking time to follow the Peegrine.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great photos, Kim.. Does your neck hurt after looking UP so much while you are downtown???? It's so neat that you can keep up with the Falcons. Do they stay there year-round or are they seasonal???

Glad you had a great day. Makes going to work more fun, doesn't it???
Hugs,
Betsy

NCmountainwoman said...

Love to hear about and see the Peregrines. One thing I miss about Milwaukee...the Peregrines nesting downtown.

Anonymous said...

How much fun it must be to watch these guys! They are such amazing birds!

Dawn Fine said...

Kallen,
How exciting..I look forward to following the Peregrine Saga...

Kathie Brown said...

How priviledged you are to witness all of this!

Kelly said...

...I'm so excited. I saw a single Peregrine Falcon on the way to work. First time. Bill said he's seen him several times across the field at work. Not nesting, but just seeing him is fun!!!

Peregrine Project Member (Nick M.) said...

For years I'd put off buyng a scope because I thought they were too expensive. But having got a reasonable one through my work (for a peregrine project, funnily enough) I later compared it to its tiny brother - the Opticron Picolo. In the UK this sells for £50, inlcuding a horrid little table-top tripod. Put it any sturdy camera tripod (no need to spend the earth) and you've a basic scope for general use. Sure, it's not in the league of better scopes, nor is it any good for digiscoping - but it's great for garden birds, general trips around town and for leavng in the car and not caring if it gets bashed about or stolen. I think the optics are incredibly good for the price. For anyone not sure about a scope, and with limited funds, I'd suggest they look out for this and give it a try. Not sure if its available in North America, but it can be got on ebay.

Susan English Mason said...

I see falcons often in Arizona whenever I don't have my camera ready. Falcons and I have a long history of them teasing me long enough to get it in gear two seconds too late and they fly away. These are great shots and this coming from someone who clearly cannot accomplish this herself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails