Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Peregrine Falcon Update-Week of Feb 23rd

Not much of an update this week. The pair have been hanging around the spot I am hoping they decide to nest in. I think this is the female above. She was flying from one building over to their favorite hangout place. It was incredibly cold on the 6th. floor to the parking garage I chose to take these at. My fingers were so cold that they ached with pain. I didn't care though because I have been dying to get better closeups of the falcons in flight.
While I was up at the parking garage a few people parking their cars asked me what I was doing out of curiosity. I pointed them to the falcons and they were shocked that they work downtown and never saw them before.

I now have all of the maintenance men, parking attendants and security guards calling me whenever they spot them to give me an update. The falcons are generating a ton of interest and all of us are eager to see where they will make their home for the summer to have their babies.


My guess is that I will know for certain next week where they decide to roost. I am just waiting for the male to start doing his aerial mating ritual which he has yet to do. I guess he didn't get the email that spring is near and he better start courting his woman. She may be the only falcon around but he shouldn't be taking it for granted that she will want to spend another year with him without any romance. ;o)


16 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I really like the Peregrine's shadow in that first picture.

Shelley said...

I like how you captured his legs dangling as he flew! LOL - you are going to turn all those workers - maintenance people - etc. into birdwatchers! You make a good birdy ambassador!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics today. So great that you have some "helpers" looking out for you!

Dave Coulter said...

I expect he'll get more romantic after March Madness is over! ;)

Helen said...

He has better speed things up or he will be left behind. Great pictures. Helen

A New England Life said...

I'll bet it's nice and warm up against the building where she's hanging out, don't you think?

I would so love watching them too. You are incredibly lucky, and it's great you were able to get others interested as well.

It seems the cold will never let up!

Wendy said...

Cool falcon pictures! We have some downtown here too. I need to go out and get some pics as well.

Alan Pulley said...

Great photos! I think falcons are such neat birds. We had a pair in our city nest on a bridge a few years back. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Stunning Photos and they are such great birds! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

...you're lucky you have a daily view of them!! They are so cool.

Dawn Fine said...

I love the first photo...coming in for a landing.
Great...how exciting..looks like you have others excited about the event as well...cool.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful shots of the Falcons, Kallen. I hope that they do nest. I'm sure you'd love to see the babies.

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

troutbirder said...

I can't tell you how envious I am that you should get to see these magnificent bird so often. For me, ONCE in my life in the Bitteroot range in Montana.

Karin said...

Just popped over from Betsy's blog. Our city has a Peregrine Falcon couple on one of its highrises too! I'm not sure though when they arrive back each spring. I'll have to pay more attention. Your photos are beautiful!

KGMom said...

We live very near to Harrisburg, PA--our state capitol--and there is a nesting pair of peregrines that took up residence about a decade ago. The ledge they picked is on the building that houses the PA Dpt. of Environmental Resources--aptly named The Rachel Carson building.
Every spring, the pair return, set up house and lay 4 to 5 eggs. The eyasses then hatch and a web cam captures their progress.
To encourage them, the people at the Dpt. put up a hack box with stones for the nest.

Leedra said...

The shadow in the first photo is neat.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails