Friday, February 13, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count-Fri 13th

My first day of the Great Backyard Bird Count went pretty well despite the cold temps and wind we had here in New England. I spent most of it in my yard and all of the regulars came as well as a couple of surprises, the most notable being pigeons. EEEEEKKK!! There were about five of them walking around my yard nibbling on leftover seed and I prayed that my neighbors (who are selling their house), wouldn't have any potential buyers coming over to check out the digs. All I could picture were perspective buyers going to look at a house and glancing in my yard to see pigeons, seagulls and starlings. Real curb appeal I tell you. ;o)

The red bellied came today and stuck around for a while which allowed me to get pretty good pictures.

One of two mockingbirds who are now regulars in my yard. The one above has spunk with a capital S. The starlings love to come and bully the other birds and they usually succeed, not with this bird though. It flaps its white wings and actually goes after the starlings with its beak!!! Just for that I am doubling up on the suet so the two of them will stay. It's about time someone stood up to those bullies. Now maybe I won't have as many of them and my bird bath will stay a little cleaner.

I decided to go to a few other places and most were devoid of birds. I did have some luck at the cemetery though, as you will see below.

A picture of a titmouse poking it wee little head in a tree to forage for food. It was actually fun to watch it and I hope it succeeded.


Speaking of success, check out what this little guy found for lunch!! Again, very cool to watch and it makes me feel more at ease to see that yes, there is still protein rich food out there for the birds should they need it. The nuthatch got this from the tree so I am guessing it's a grub of some sort??? I saw two nuthatches today which was awesome because I have not seen any of them since last year so another species to add to my 2009 list.




Have a great and lucky Friday everyone!




18 comments:

A Scattering said...

My feeder has been quiet all week, hoping tomorrow (when I'll be at home to check) will bring better luck.

Marie said...

So beautiful. We have so few birds here in Montpellier. Happy Valentine's day to you.

Vickie said...

Wonderful post, Kallen. So glad you stopped by my blog earlier so that I could find you here. I started to count today and realized I've never done it before and don't know what I'm doing. But I wrote the numbers and species down as best I could and will have to read more about ther counting itself tonight.

Loved your nuthatch with the grub!
Wow.

Suzanne said...

The birds are so beautiful, hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Thank you for stopping by my bog.

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee Kallen,
Great birdies on your count...did you drive over and add those Falcons..or is that not allowed?

Rich said...

Your photography is just getting better. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Working all day, I haven't even started the count. I did see a Chickadee and a Downy Woodpecker this morning, but that is it. Love the shot of the grub, BTW.

Kelly said...

Isn't it nice to be able to slow down and just observe. Getting the photo of the titmouse poking his head in the little hole is beautiful, and catching the grub is cool. I enjoy watching my everyday backyard birds as much as I do hunting out new birds! I really enjoyed your post.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me to do my tally..I have never seen a mocker..Michelle

Anonymous said...

I keep saying that I need to make some time to do the Great Backyard Bird Count! Bravo day and thanks for sharing with us!

Steve Buser said...

You have a very active backyard. Good shots

Kim said...

Elaine, I hope you go back to a yard filled w/ lovely birds.

Maire, so sad you don't have birds in your area. I am sure you must get ton once the norther birds move back north?

Vickie, I found your site through I am the Bird and was very happy to have discovered it. You have a lot of good info on your blog!

Suzanne, thanks for stopping by. Loved your skywatch photo.

Dawn, I have beent thinking of going downtown to see if I can spot them to include them in my count. Such majestic birds need to be included. HA!

Rich, thanks. I am practicing everyday!

Behindthebins, that's the beauty of the count. It is another three days so you can jump in whenever its convenient for you. Happy Birding!

Kelly, sometimes I find I get better luck watching my backyard birds. They come to me instead of me having to find them. It can't get much better than that. ;o)

Rambling, have you submitted yet? It is super easy and kind of fun to do in a geeky way. HA!

Monarch, just 15 minutes this weekend is all you need to do. You have a good eye so I bet you could do a lot in 15 minutes! ;o)

Thanks Steve, I keep practicing.

troutbirder said...

You did good. And reminded me that I forgot to do my GBBC yesterday. Today Ill start.

Unknown said...

Hi!
Thanks for visiting my blog neighbor. I use to work at UNUM in Worcester and very familiar with the falcon. Nice to see Worcester in some beautiful photos.

Norwood & Debi

Jayne said...

All I have these days are Pine Siskins and Goldfinches... there are so bloomin' many, I am not sure I'd get any sort of an accurate count!! Glad you had such a good day!

Anonymous said...

Nice little intimate shots of your visitors!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I'm catching up, Kallen.. This collection is of birds is GREAT.. You know how much I love the Red-bellied.

Hugs,
Betsy

Leedra said...

Another great birding day.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails