Monday, February 9, 2009

Bird Breaks

Views of downtown Worcester from my office window. A pair of Peregrine Falcons have been reported near the Flagship Building. In fact, one was on the Flagship logo with prey. Word has it they are looking to make a nest on the balcony (directly under the Logo).

I have come up with a fantastic way of killing down time while at the office. You see, my work computer has it in for me. I can be in the middle of doing something extremely important and time sensitive, when suddenly the computer makes this low, pitiful groan and comes to a painful still. I can't do anything when this happens because if I do I confuse it even more which means it will be paralyzed even longer. Tech support has looked at it and can't figure it out either. They have defragged, bebugged and de everything under the sun and it continues to persist. In the past this would stress me to no end and I would pace around the office in an uproar over my misfortune. Coworkers would nod their heads with me in sympathy as they typed away on their lightning quick PC's and I would stare at them in frustration and jealousy.


Well, word has it that there are two Peregrine Falcons looking to make a home over at the Flagship Bank building in downtown Worcester (see blurb above). Whoot! Guess What!!! I can see this building from my office window!! To make this even more exciting, there are a couple of Red Tailed Hawks I have seen downtown in the past week so I am hoping they decide to play house around here too!

Now when I go to work I bring both my binoculars and camera. When the computer starts to choke, out come the binoculars as I search the horizon and buildings for signs of either bird.

Of course this genius idea does carry risk. I often think about the inevitable day when a fellow coworker comes into my office to inquire about something and there I will be gawking out at downtown Worcester with my binoculars. They will automatically assume I am a typical slacker who likes spying on innocent people as they go about their business. Embarrassed and sheepish I will innocently explain that my computer is acting up again and I am searching for falcon's in hopes of getting a picture. They will look at me with a mix of shock and pity as they back out of the office slowly. As if I can't be perceived as anymore of a freak at my work place.

Anyhow, I have weighed out those risks and determined that it's worth the cause. I am doing month end processing this week which brings my computer to its knees for up to 30 minutes at a time. In between non computer busy work I will be searching away in hopes I can see the falcon which will be a lifer for me. Wish me luck! The way my birding has been going, I need it! ;o)

11 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well Kalen, why don't they buy you a new computer? Seems like you need one. I don't blame you for taking other things to do while you are at work--if your computer goes out that easily. GADS!!!!

Beautiful picture of the view from your office.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kim said...

I am going to get a new one soon Betsy, the thing is that we are currently in the process of reshuffling departments and to be honest with you, I don't know who my boss is going to be so I can't expense it to their expense center. HA!! Very confusing, but typical in banking. I will find out in a couple of weeks and hopefully be able to get a computer.

Mary said...

Don't worry about what they all think! They call me bird brain at work and I don't care :o) You gotta see that Falcon!

Anonymous said...

Great solution. Like they say (and I'm paraphrasing from fishing), a bad days birding beats a good days work...

Kelly said...

Hilarious!! I hope the Peregrine Falcons make a nest and you can continue to post their progress.

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee Kallen
Sounds like you have a great solution to a slow computer!

Jayne said...

Hey, when life (or a computer) gives you lemons, make that lemonade!!! I'd do the same thing Kallen. :c)

FAB said...

If it was me I would be setting up a birding scope on a tripod but maybe that's going to far - Would certainly give everyone something to talk about.

Kim said...

EB, I have no spotting scope or tripod sadly but I do have pictures!! WOOT!!! I just got back from there and took a bunch of pictures and wanted to jump in here quickly to share my glee. I can't wait to get home tonight to see how they came out. I am guessing blury because they were up so high but I know for sure I have a picture with one of them eating prey!!!

A lifer for me!! How I miss this rush.

FAB said...

Congrats on the lifer. Frank

Mary said...

LOL! I wouldn't get any work done at all if I knew there was a neat bird within camera range :-) I'd be glued to the window or out pacing the sidewalk looking up and shooting while people walk by looking at me strangly. What a great opportunity for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails