Friday, March 27, 2009

Peregrine Falcon in Downtown Worcester-Closeups!

, Rap Check it out all, my first closeup photos of one of the Peregrines in downtown Worcester. I wound up getting these pictures after a rough day at work. My hard drive died on my computer and I just needed to get away from the office for a little while. I looked for the falcons and saw the female by the nest box but the male was nowhere to be seen.
I decided to go to the 24th floor of the Sovereign building (I have permission) and I knew I had struck gold because the elevator repair man was there staring intently at something.

I looked at him and gave him a knowing smile and whipped out my camera!!!


I took pictures for about 10 minutes and wanted to stay longer but I had a meeting. Grrrrr. ;o). The male really likes it up here but hasn't been in this location for a while. I am guessing that once the eggs are laid I will not be seeing him here for a while. The next time they will come up this way is when they bring their young on the ledge to learn how to fly. The maintenance man says that every year the falcons bring the babies up here for flying lessons as it is the tallest building downtown. I promise pictures of that obviously. ;o)




Another interesting note was seeing my first spring Robin in downtown Worcester. You don't see many of them on Main Street so it is always a treat when you get a glimpse of one.



These two House Finches were in the 446 Main Street parking garage and it appeared as if they were looking for a place to build a nest. Who said city birding was dull!! ;o)





18 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Those ae awesome pix! I'll bet you were thrilled. Two years ago I went to a public Peregrine chick banding near here. It was amazing.

http://hastybrook.blogspot.com/2007/06/peregrine-banding.html

and

http://hastybrook.blogspot.com/2007/06/peregrine-banding-part-deux.html

Andy said...

I like how he is looking at you with a titled head.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! These are amazing photos. What an awesome day you had today! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see more.

Leedra said...

So did you crash your hard drive so you could go take Falcon photos? :) Excellent photos, I might add.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Kim said...

Lynne, they are soooo cute!!! OMG!!! I hope I can see one for myself this summer!

Andy, I love the tilted head picture myself. It is one of his favorite poses it seems. HA

Thanks Mildred!! It was amazing!


Leedra,LOL about my hard drive. I have had problems with my computer since January and they finally figured out it was my hard drive. I am getting a new one on Monday and can't wait!

Kelly said...

Wow...great close-ups on the falcon. Love his intense yellow eyes and upper beak. He's very handsome up close.

Alan Pulley said...

Sorry to here about your HD. Those things happen sometimes. On the bright side you got some GREAT photos! Look forward to more falcon shots.

Anonymous said...

Kallen..The people that run this forum are very knowledgeble and crazy about falcons. You can get up to the minute news and ask any questions and they are lovely to answer....

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=peregrinefalcon

Larry said...

Wow! Fantastic Peregrine photos! You must have been thrilled at the results.

ShySongbird said...

Great photos Kallen, he definitely had his eye on you probably wishing he had a camera to snap that inquisitive woman!!
Your Robin is so different to ours, very interesting.

FAB said...

Great close ups of your Peregrine Kim. Look forward to the ongoing story.

MaineBirder said...

AWESOME! Look at those eyes,,, beautiful.

Now you are not going to tell me that the hard drive crash was so bad after all.

Jayne said...

What great close-ups Kallen! So beautiful!!

Dawn Fine said...

Gee its not dull,
In that last photo the finch behind the finch looks like it is glowing red.

Nick S said...

wow, unbelievable that you can just peer through a window and see Peregrine's like that :-)

NCmountainwoman said...

Any excuse to get out of the office for a while. :) Great photographs. Can you imagine the flying lessons? Wow!

Tina said...

Kallen,
Well, Congrats on getting these amazing pics!! I bet you couldn't wait to get them on your own (working) computer..to re-live the thrills of your success!
How exciting to be able to look forward to actually seeing some flying lessons!! Should be very interesting!!

Good Job!

Anonymous said...

What at treat! I missed these photos when I was out in Palm Springs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails