Monday, March 23, 2009

More Prey Pictures

I continue on the raptor roll as you can tell from all of the pictures I have of them on my blog. I have taken so many pictures and want to put some of my favorites on here. The picture above is of one of the Red Tailed Hawks nesting 2 miles from my house. I went back there yesterday while it was snowing so the pictures came out lousy. I am starting to accept lousy pictures and realize I have no choice unless I want to spend a lot of dough on a scope and tripod.


I love the photo above. The hawk looks as if it is on those Romper Stompers I used to have as a kid. Anyone remember those? ;o)

The second one shows the hawk scanning the earth for mice. If you enlarge the picture you can see some of its gorgeous red tail.

Another photo taken from a far distance. Check out the red on its tail!



Now onto the Peregrines!!! It appears to me as if the misses has laid her eggs. If you click on this picture you will see her in the nesting box!!! I am not 100% certain that she has, but she spends a lot of time in there and I am guessing where you see her is where her nest is.



Here is the proud father to be coming back from somewhere. He appears to be okay after the window strike so I am not too worried about him anymore. I just hope he stays away from the glass tower!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are such magnificent birds

Shelley said...

You really are getting some good birdy action! I loved that 2nd hawk photo! And I'm always interested in what those peregrines are up to!!

Tina said...

Kallen,
You are really coming up with some great captures of these birds!! Wow, I would love to witness them building a nest..even if it was a dummy nest..do they do that??
I esp. found it interesting that those little birds sat nearby taking it all in.. how funny!!
Keep us updated on that nest it just seemed so out in the open..not that I know anything about raptor nesting..:)

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I had Romper Stompers!

You Really are the "Raptor Queen"...isn't that an ABBA song?

Kim said...

Andy, I am loving birds of Prey lately. They really are peacrful birds except when its time to eat of course. ;o). Their size makes them easy to watch and they are smart birds for sure.

Shelley, I have to get my daily Peregrine fix while at work. Very fun to watch them interact!

Tina, those little birds are there all the time it seems. The Red Tailed Hawks seem to leave the little birds alone. They are more interested in the mice and squirrels on the ground it appears.

Lynne! I loved my Romper Stompers!! So much fun to walk around the house in them. I am enjoying the raptors while I can. Pretty soon they will be in deep nesting and taking care of their young so the party will be over for me!

Anonymous said...

Hadn't thought of Romper Stompers in a long time! You are amazing with these pictures you get. Thanks for sharing them with us.

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm loving the raptor photographs. Lucky you.

Anonymous said...

I love these guys!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that first photo... That is just too darn cute. You could enter that one in a contest...

All of the pictures are great..
Hugs,
Betsy

Dawn Fine said...

I dont know what Romper stompers are...but it looks like that hawk has some very cool boots on.

Kelly said...

...I like that second hawk photo! Finding a red-tail's nest within a couple miles of your house is pretty cool. ...and I remember Romper Stompers too, and that first photo cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

Great raptor series Kim! They are some much fun to watch. I spend much of my time on the road looking for raptors. Aren't we the lucky ones, living so close to these magnificent birds?

Jayne said...

Love all your raptor adventures Kallen!

Christopher said...

I love that you are documenting all your raptor experiences, and bringing the excitment to your blog. Don't worry about "quality" of your photos - the fact that you are trying and getting photos is great and we appreciate you sharing them with us - keep it up!

ShySongbird said...

Impressive post as always Kallen. I did smile at the first photo it really looks like it has some sort of long boots on, very comical, I don't think we had Romper Stompers over here that's a new one on me.
Your photos are really great.

troutbirder said...

There is something majestic about these birds (unless you are a sparrow or something like that)

Mary said...

Don't know romper stompers, but see what you mean in the photo :-) Wonderful shots of all the prey birds!

Anonymous said...

Romper stompers - yes, I just didn't remember the name! Great that you have all these shots - the next etc. Hope you can continue to catch them, maybe brooding and fledging babies??!!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Hello and thanks for stopping by to see the Manatee! I love the last photo of the bird landing! Great!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Did you see the Sandhill Cranes on my blog? The post is What in the Sandhill....if you're interested?

Ginnymo said...

Awesome photos!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails