Monday, March 2, 2009

March.....Comes in like a.......

Don't you just love this picture of the squirrel!!! It looks as if he is clenching his fists and his teeth over the recent dump of snow that was bestowed upon New England last night into this morning. Normally the squirrels don't venture outside during the snow, but I am guessing they are a little more daring now that it is March.
The goldfinches are always brave and were grateful for the refill of thistle I put out for them this morning. Going to the feeders today totally depressed me. I have had the luxury of walking around my yard and feeling the soft earth against my boots, not anymore.


The hardiest of my winter birds the junco had quite the challenge today eating from the coconut feeder. He got himself in there as much as possible to lesson some of the severe effects of the wind which were roaring around my yard this morning. As you can see his feathers are blowing all over the place and even he looks sick of the snow.


The blue jay eats cracked corn as it waits for the peanuts I put out normally. I saw the coopers first thing this morning and decided to wait a bit to put peanuts on the tree stump as I didn't want the blue jay to become a casualty if I could avoid it. This gorgeous bird looks as if this last storm has knocked the soul out of him. I am convinced the birds are as weary of winter as I am.



The mockingbird looked at me this morning with pleading eyes. I think he was asking me when winter would be over with. I wish I had an answer for him but don't.

16 comments:

Leedra said...

They look cold. We just got flurries, and the COLD. I heard from Mama (Georgia-south of me) and she had a couple of inches, and it was still snowing.

Like the first photo.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Amy said...

Aw, your visitors look miserable indeed, especially that poor Junco! The squirrels around here don't mind the snow at all. They are really cute to watch after a snowfall - they dig dig dig into the snow to get at the food!

Helen said...

All are great pictures but they all do look miserable and cold. Helen

Anonymous said...

Looks like the wind could just about blow the fuzz of that coconut! Hang in there lil squirrel!

Anonymous said...

Does look a bit fed up that squirrel! Expecting another taste of winter here tomorrow.

Paul.

Anonymous said...

Everyone is sick of snow I think. Even here in GA we got snow yesterday. Today it is just so cold and windy. Your pictures really capture the mood!

ShySongbird said...

Lovely photos Kallen, it has been sunny here today but it's getting colder again. I do hope we're not going to get a return of the snow. I'm not surprised you and the birds are fed up with it.

Hang on in there! It has to get better soon.

All good wishes from the UK

Betsy Banks Adams said...

The snow just won't go away for you, will it Kim???? We got almost none from this latest batch. It went ALL around us!!!!

Poor little guys---looks like they are so cold! Glad you gave them something to eat on a cold, snowy day.

Be careful out there!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

It looks so cold there! We've got our AC on already!

Kelly said...

great post...love the descriptions. It was 12 this morning and 19 when I left for work. Yuck to the cold and snow!

Kathie Brown said...

I feel so sorry for you and your birds! I am so glad you feed them. Perhaps they need a bird shelter next! Poor things!

Anonymous said...

That poor Mockingbird looks so sad... they all look like they could use a 70 degree day or two!

Happy birding!

Kim said...

Thanks for the comments all. Yes I do believe they are sick of all this snow. I feel so bad for them and want to tell it will all be over with soon, but even I am not sure at this point!

The hawks I have had at my yard make me appreciate them even more. These little creatures go through so much every day just to stay alive. It breaks my heart.

Patrick B. said...

Those look like some chilly birds.

Anonymous said...

Love the expression on the last photos..LOL..

Mary said...

Poor little squirrel looks so cold! I hope these are the last artic blasts of winter! Lovely bird shots!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails