Monday, March 9, 2009

Bird Photography Weekly-Pileated Woodpecker

The pair of Pileated Woodpeckers were back at the Grafton Cemetery on Sunday. Once again the male was out in plain view while the female was hidden but I could hear her call. I was able to get closer to him this time for a sharper picture.


This photo above and the photos below all came out kind of blurry so I couldn't crop as much as I would like to have. I wanted to post them though because they are unique. I am guessing he is preening here? I love how fluffy his feathers look. This woodpecker has some pretty incredible feet to be able to pull this off and keep his balance!!



One with his beak open. I have never seen a woodpecker do that before!



Finally one in flight. I wish he were flying toward me so I could have gotten that glorious crown, but I was able to get the white feathers on his wings.




For more bird photography go to Bird Photography Weekly.






20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos Kim!

Now you can watch them throughout Spring and Summer to watch for fledglings.

The young are really cool looking. It is a project for myself to get a photo of a fledgling.

ShySongbird said...

Great photos Kim. An amazing bird! I suspect you will be doing follow up visits.

All good wishes from the UK.

Anonymous said...

You were able to get some unique and incredible pictures yesterday. The one in flight and with the beak open are amazing!

Shelley said...

Gorgeous Pileated photos! how exciting it must've been to see them! (mine are always flying away if I even look at my camera!)

Chris said...

Hi,
These are truly amazing birds. I have seen some now in some bolgs, and there are really amazing... I love their costume and their attitudes. Well done, well captured and I'm so happy you got them.

Rich said...

That is a beautiful bird!

Anonymous said...

Great catch...I love them and they need such large trees that keep getting taken down around here...

Deborah Godin said...

Ooh, maybe you'll get to see babies, too?!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Great job Kim! I've never caught a Pileated in flight.

NCmountainwoman said...

Wow! Great photographs, especially the one in flight.

Anonymous said...

Excellent captures of the Pileated Woodpecker Kim! I love the top photo showing the beautiful crest and colorful head. And the in flight shot is amazing!

I hope to go back to a tree in Lassen Park near me where I found a breeding pair last summer to see if I can get some good captures.

Don't forget to go back to BPW and add your link. I am looking forward to more photos of these guys.

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I love the one in flight . . . it really gives a sense of the size of these amazing birds.

Anonymous said...

I love the Pileated! And what a great sighting, them together. I had a pair in my magnolia one morning very early and couldn't believe it. They come and go around here it seems. Now for that Bald Eagle :) We are on the look out for them too!

Christopher said...

WOW - Kim, those are fantastic photos! I'm so jealous that you seem to have a reliable pair to check in on.
Really well done!

Bob Kaufman said...

I, too, am jealous! Those are great shots, Kim!

John Theberge said...

Love the photos of the pileated, I rarely see them around here.

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Beautiful picture!
Woodpeckers never fail to amaze me.

Mary said...

I missed these somehow! Wonderful photos, especially that flight shot! Wow...what a wing spread.

Heidi said...

They look amazing in flight! I hope I'll see one someday.

AMIT said...

U have taken very good pictures of this bird.

Alternative energy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails