Friday, March 13, 2009

Cathing Up

It has been one of those weeks. A week of conference calls, tight deadlines, car trouble and exhaustion. As a result I did very little birding, photography or blogging. I was able to get a decent shot of the hairy woodpecker?? though. My bird feeding station has been very quiet the past week which I am happy about because I had that sick bird. The weather is starting to get nicer and the birds are out and about instead of in my yard. I hear them when I wake up in the morning and their song is much different than last week. I hear the spring time songs and my heart soars. I even hear the robins who nested in my neighbors yard last year so I am very happy about that.
The red winged blackbirds are more visible as well. I have been trying to get decent photos of them before they start their nesting which is when I will leave them alone. I remember last year if I went over there during nesting time they would attempt to dive bomb me so have learned my lesson well. ;o)


You may be asking what would cause me to take a photo of pigeons. I have an answer!! You see, I was in a 4 hour conference call yesterday and was stir crazy alone in my office. The pigeons kept flying past my office window which gave me an idea. Hmmmmmm. I wonder how birds in flight would look at this angle. I put the call on mute and then click, click, click, click. Here is my answer.

The Peregrine Falcon's have been around all week too. The female has been spending most of her time at the nesting site and the male wonders about. I went up to the spot where they sometimes perch to see if I could get some closeups, but they wouldn't cooperate with me this week.

Anyhow, I will post more this weekend. Time to go back to work now.

22 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee Kallen,
Sounds like you have a cold...Cathing up...tee hee was that on purpose?
Nice that you are back...but it is always good to take a break!

Helen said...

Great pictures, That was a good angle shot of the pigeons. Helen

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back. I understand about that four letter word, "work". Good to have you posting again.

Shelley said...

Nice photos today - especially your woodpecker!! Love that you take a break at work to snap photos of birds flying by. This is the sign of a true bird lover!!

Anonymous said...

I've missed you; maybe you can get out birding this weekend. I love the pigeons in flight photo. I am awakened by the birds song each morning now and it is so sweet! Enjoy your time off.

NCmountainwoman said...

I too am enjoying the singing birds. Makes for a wonderful morning.

I wonder if your woodpecker isn't a Downy instead of Hairy? It's hard to tell, but the beak seems shorter, more like a Downy. Unless the suet feeder is huge, the bird doesn't seem large enough to be a Hairy. Disclaimer: I'm not a bird expert and I'm often quite wrong. :)

FAB said...

My week has been similar Kim, hassle, hassle.....
Nice one of the Red-winged Blackbird. Have a good birding weekend. Lol Frank

Kelly said...

...definitely missed all of your birdy energy. I like your creative eye on the pigeons!

Anonymous said...

Boy, another person with car recent trouble (includ=ing myself). Must be going around! Great birds, as always. Love the flyers!!

Tina said...

I'd say you are hooked on this bird-watching thing!! lol great that you can take some pictures while at work..your pigeon pic looks like they were in formation for a fly by!!
ah it's the weekend...relax a little if you can :)

Leedra said...

I think your woodpecker is probably a Downy instead of a Hairy. I captured one yesterday and when I pulled it up close determined it to be a Downy. Keep looking for my first Hairy.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Mary said...

Kim I can tell you are fairly new at blogging. I once posted every day for two straight months when I was new. No more, man. I run out of steam and material a lot lately. Relax about it if you can :o)

Amy said...

Sorry you've been so busy - I hope you can relax over the weekend. I've got another problem, lack of work motivation (I'm self-employed and my boss can be a real slacker), so I've been blogging a bit too much, I think. ;o) Take it easy!

Anonymous said...

Well..it's Friday and the weekend.. so you have a couple of days to do some birding. I had my first robin so I put out my raisins for them...No red-wings yet..Michelle

Kim said...

Yup, I have been blogging since November. I love doing it, but it can be like a full time job!!! I am going to start blogging 4 times a week unless I get a ton of lifers in a short period and need to share it in my blog. ;o)

Thanks for letting me know it's a downy. It's funny because I have one downy that comes to my feeder that's bigger than the other one so it throws me off.

Jayne said...

I'm finally hearing and seeing some robins in the yard. Spring is on the way!

A New England Life said...

Enjoy your week-end Kim. The best birding is yet to come! Their songs are definitely coming to life though : )

Rich said...

Seeing pidgeons flying like your picture makes me think how great it would be to fly.

troutbirder said...

Kallen your dedication is an inspiration to us all. Actually being retired I get to pick my spots. Yea!

Anonymous said...

Love the Downy photo. Have a great weekend. We are heading to Plum Island tomorrow to see if any migrants are around.

Chad said...

I've been getting a bunch of Red-winged Blackbirds at my feeders. I really like having them... I like the Grackles too...

Heather said...

Sorry to hear work's been stressing you out - don't let the blog do that to ya, too! You might be able to tell that I'm getting caught up on my blog reading from all my comments tonight... just relax and do what you can when you're able. We'll be here! And I agree with the others who ID'd the woodpecker as a Downy. Clue #1 was the stubby little bill. Clue #2 was its size in relation to the feeder - I have a suet cage just like that, and the proportions of the bird compared to the feeder are too small for a Hairy. I love the picture though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails