Sunday, March 22, 2009

Let's Build a Nest!!


Sorry for the poor picture quality. It was very gray out this morning so all of my pictures came out fuzzy.

I was out bright and early at 7:30 this morning and two minutes into my ride, I saw two Red Tailed Hawks building a nest. It is located right across the street from the electric company in the town I live in. I got out of my car and watched them for a while and it was intriguing to say the very least. The photo above is what I believe the beginning stages of the nest. Notice the pine twigs sticking out of it. They love this stuff!! It must keep their babies nice and comfy!

If you click on the picture above, you will see that the female (I believe) is on top of the pine tree getting more twigs and pappa is going toward her to investigate.


Off he flies toward the nest again. I couldn't get any photos of them in the nest because they were too quick!


Here they are taking a break for a moment and looking for more material for their new seasonal dwelling. It was funny watching them up there. The male had some twine in its beak and I don't think she liked it because she did something funny with her feathers and he dropped it. I think he is taking orders from her on what is acceptable for their new pad!


Lastly, check out this picture. If you click on it you will see smaller birds on the right of the wire. These little birds watched the hawks build their nest and were not afraid of them at all. Very weird to watch.

This was a thrill and a privilege to witness. I went back there this afternoon but they were nowhere to be seen. I don't know if this is a dummy nest or if they were busy hunting when I returned. The most interesting thing about this is that it's right near a busy road. I guess they don't mind neither the auto nor pedestrian traffic that they will encounter.

Another photo of a different Red Tailed taken today. I love these birds!

23 comments:

Steve said...

The photos may be a bit fuzzy but they tell a great story. Odd place to build a house though. I'll be watching tosee what happens.

NCmountainwoman said...

Great story. I love those birds too. Hope you will be able to continue to watch the nest.

A Scattering said...

I'm positively green with envy! Keep us posted on the activity.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a great excuse to get up EARLY.... Wow--Kim.. Great pictures of the hawks...
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

I would say you had an exceptional outing today. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

As Steve said, the images tell the story. Sometimes, immature raptors will build nests and abandon them. But from what I can tell from your photos, these look like full fledged adults. Keep an eye on the site.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. I wish I had those here now and then.

EcoRover said...

I loved redtails since the time I was "dive bombed" for getting too close to a nest on a hardwood Allegheny ridge, the hawk's wings thwacking against the tree branches. Thanks!

Kim said...

Thanks Eco for telling me that story!! I will make sure I view the nest from across the street like I did today. I would so fear getting dive bombed from one of them! Glad you survived! ;o)

Kim said...

Thanks all! I am hoping they stick around so I can watch them from a respectable distance of course. Right now they seem okay w/ my presence because I am across the street. I went over again this afternoon and one of them was hunting across the street. It came over my way and I got out of the car for photos and didn't mind one bit.

They are obviously used to people based upon where they are building their nest this year. People drive by, bikers and walkers breeze on by and there is an electric company directly across the street from it with cars coming and going.

Mary said...

I hope they stay there but that's n odd spot for a nest! This will be a good story to follow, Kim.

Kim said...

That's what I am thinking too Mary! They don't even have a roof and what happens during our first lightning storm??? Stranger things have happened I suppose. The nest does look fresh though and I saw them adding to it so I guess they are going to attempt it. Like I said though, I went back later today and while they were near the nest, they were not building on it anymore. Very odd.

MicheleRF said...

What a privilege indeed, Kim. Looks like you'll have something to watch for the next month or two as things progress. Looking forward to watching along with you.
~Michele

Kelly said...

...very, very cool...can't wait to see the second installment!

Dawn Fine said...

Great Stuff Kallen..
I loved the series and look forward to future photos...of what may be their nest...How exciting.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos from today - I particularly like the shot of one hawk flying over the other on top of the tree :)

Shelley said...

I think it's great that you captured photos of their nest building activities! And I love how you got a read on the female not liking the twine the male had - too funny!

Rich said...

Birds and animals are amazing - great story and pictures.

Jayne said...

What a wonderful thing to witness Kallen! Lucky you!

troutbirder said...

Great story Kallen. I will be watching for followups.

Chris said...

Excellent. It is always nice to see nest and then you can follow these guys through the season. Cool!!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

These are so amazing. I love it all. Good post...m.

Mary said...

Wonderful photos! Hope they let the hawks build there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails