Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday Birds and Help with ID of Swan Please

The robins were EVERYWHERE today. Normally when I bird on weekends I always see a few robins but nothing like what I have seen over the past two weekends. I actually took this picture on a bridge to the bike path. I had to point my camera between the chain link fencing to get this shot. I was at an advantage in height because I was right at the robins eye level. It was flashing its wings like the shot above and thought it would make a nice picture.

I saw the pileated again today. This time he was in the cemetery vs the wetlands. The bright morning sun made all of my photos look washed out today. Normally I try and position my body behind the sun but there are times when you have to be quick and get your shot and by the time you do get your body where you want it, your photographic subject flys off. I went from no sun all winter to too much sun. Photography is such a challenge.


Lastly some pictures of some swans who kept doing circles around the perimeter of the cemetery. I am thinking they are Tundra Swans?? I was looking around the cemetery when suddenly I could hear this beautiful sound from the sky. It almost sounded like wings whooshing. I looked up to see two of them soaring above me. Wouldn't you know that the sun again made everything too washed up looking.


I believe these are the same two I saw at the Grafton Cemetery last year during Late November. That was the last I have seen of them until today.


The pictures could not be closeups due to how far away there were from me. Can anyone identify this swan despite the lousy pictures?

Can't wait to bird again tomorrow. It is going to be in the 50's!! I am kind of disappointed though because I was expecting to see a lot more waterfowl now that migration has started and only saw my usual mallards today.




19 comments:

Helen said...

I think those are great pictures. I have no idea what kind of swan that is. I hope someone else knows. Helen

A New England Life said...

Wonderful Swan shots! To the best of my knowledge the only Swans we have in the area are Mute Swans.

Robins ARE everywhere! Even pulling up worms! Yippee! The Pileateds are certainly making themselves known lately with their incredible call.

Anonymous said...

No idea about the swan, but what great photos. I especially like the robin's wings. Enjoy yourself tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I think those are mute swans - the first photo is the best at showing the "forehead bump" they have, at least it look s that way to me. and I loe the robin - looks like it's taking a bow!

Chad said...

I agree, Mute Swan adult. The bump on the forehead is good indicator in this case as mentioned by Deborah.

Rich said...

I think the swan shots are quite good.

Anonymous said...

That washed out thing is probably telling you that the camera and your pictures would benefit from a lens hood. I know if I take mine off some of the Canon lenses that I have to compensate for that by setting the camera for darker exposures.

I like the Pileated Woodpecker. I only had one show up here in 47 years and happened to photograph it. Some people are a lot luckier than me I guess.

Jayne said...

I hear the Pileateds around here, but they only occasionally show their lovely selves here in my yard. Good job capturing the swans Kallen. :c)

Amanda said...

Great photos!! That kind of looks like the trumpeter swans i have been seeing.

NCmountainwoman said...

Can't help with the swan ID, but I love the photographs. In spite of my love for Pileateds, the Robin is my favorite shot.

Ruth said...

Mute Swans have orange bills and these have black bills making them Trumpeter or Tundra Swans. I cannot see the face clearly enough to make a distiction. Trumpeter and Tundra Swans are native, migrating birds and Mute Swans are introduced from Europe.

Anonymous said...

Happy birding/photo-taking this weekend!

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee Kallen,
Dont know about the swan.
But i love your Robin Photo...what a cool shot!

Tina said...

What a great catch with that robin picture...love action photos...unlike mine yours are in focus!! lol..
Can't help you with id on swan..just wish I had your situation..I haven't seen any swans yet!!
I see you have a variety of answers..
good luck..hope you see them again and can id them from input below.
:)

Anonymous said...

In this lighting, one has to go by that bumb on the bill rather than the bill color. These are mute swans. No doubt about it. Although they are European, we have them breading here in non-parklike locations.

Anonymous said...

I can't help on the ID, but what a great catch...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Kim, Love that swan --and glad someone knew what it was. Beautiful!!!! We came home to robins, green grass, crocus blooms, and some daffodils blooming. I think that Spring may truly be coming!!!! Yeah-Rah.
Hugs,
Betsy

Heidi said...

I sure know what you mean about deciding between a less than good shot and moving for a better one. It's part of the fun though :)

I'm not sure about the swans, I have only seen Tundras once and they were 1/2 a mile or more away.

Unknown said...

This is a cool series. I wish you had got both the swans in the last frame. I guess I m getting greedy here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails