Friday, March 27, 2009

I am Lost!!

That is most of the time when I am out there birding. Perfect example was the fact that I have been putting information on my blog that I spotted my first Bald Eagle at Riverdale Pond in Grafton when in fact Riverdale Pond is not even in Grafton, it is in Northbirdge. The first Eagle I spotted was at Fisherville Pond. The ones at Riverdale Pond are a pair and the picture of the pond is above. It looks low because they drain it for some reason. Why Eagles would find this appealing is beyond me, but they seem to find it suitable as there is a nest somewhere in this location.
After a kind birder pointed this out to me via email, I went off in search of the real Riverdale Pond and got lost. I have an admission to make and that is I have no sense of direction. Yes I can do three years worth of financial projections for a department or run a complex query in a database, but I can't find my way from point A to point B without some serious help. I need a whole day to bird because I spend most of my time in my car trying to figure out how to get to places.

The picture above is the other Eagle at Riverdale Pond. The picture is lousy because I couldn't get close enough to it to save my life. Oh well, at least I saw it. I will go back this weekend when the skies are sunny and hope for better luck. I will get a decent Eagle photo this month no matter what! I am determined!

Last but not least is my favorite subject lately which are the Peregrines. Check out the male above. Do you know what he is doing???? Why he is sleeping of course!!!! He loves this spot and spends a lot of his day there. I have gotten quite a few emails from folks who live around the Worcester area asking me where the best place is to catch a glimpse of the Falcons and if you park at the Chestnut Street garage in downtown Worcester you should get a very good look at the male falcon if he is hanging out on this ledge. It will be to the right of you. I have yet to do this myself and may try it during my lunch hour today as it is going to be sunny and in the 60's!!

Happy Friday everyone.



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that last picture! Your weather sounds delightful - enjoy birding!

Jayne said...

Don't feel bad Kallen, I need good directions too. Once I know how to get there, I'm good, but I usually can't tell in which direction I am headed, and I can't tell you how far it is from one place to another...lol!

Kelly said...

...I'm directionally challenged too. Thank goodness for Jill the GPS girl or I'd never get anywhere!!! You're so lucky to get the eagle shot!

Shelley said...

I think only recently have I begun to get a sense of direction so don't feel bad! And that photo is so sweet of that Peregrine sleeping!

Tina said...

Kallen, I am directionally challenged also,,hence the Garmen!! he he. Good pictures, love that you got shots of that peregrine sleeping!!Such a sweet pic!
Have a good weekend and enjoy those temps!!

Anonymous said...

Directionally challenged, aren't we all? You have nice pictures here.

Anonymous said...

K - Do you use Mapquest?- Very handy lol. And it's hard to believe that it's going to be sunny & 60 today, as it's so gray & dreary right now!

Mary said...

You need a TomTom (GPS)! We got one several months ago and it is great when trying to find places or even to tell you where you already are :-) Some of us need all the help we can get. Wonderful to know two places to see eagles...even if you are lost.

Richard said...

I get lost going in a circle. If all the roads ran in straight lines, I'd be OK.

Richard said...

I get lost going in a circle. If all the roads ran in straight lines, I'd be OK.

Forty Two East said...

Pretty birds...! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your weather! And if you see the peregrine, tell him not to toss and turn too much...yikes!

Anonymous said...

You need a talking GPS Kim. Great Skywatch photos!

My Skywatch:
Full Moon Sunset

Anonymous said...

I hope the birds are OK and that being spotted doesn't bring too many who are stupid and like to poke things at birds and bugs and beasts.

Some of the big names in birding won't reveal where they see or spot an owl or an eagle or anything because that seems to bring out the worst in human kind.

I only tell about those in my backyard and nobody can get in here. LOL

Leedra said...

Don't get too lost, but at least you are in your car when you get lost. We got lost in the park, thought I wasn't going to find my car ever again.

At least you did get to see the eagle. Will be looking for more photos.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Dawn Fine said...

Sorry you got lost..looks like you were in a beautiful place though..

Like some others here...i have a gps..wouldn't be without it...or I would be lost...tee hee

Anonymous said...

LOL. When I was a kid in Vermont, I used to tell the time by the sun, go on 10 mile hikes and always make it home. After living in the Boulder-Denver area for 16 years, navigation became easy, the mountains are to the west and the plains are to the east.

I went back to Vermont one time and was "driving North" for a half hour before I figured out that I was driving South! Now that I've been back for a few years, I'm getting my navigation skills back.

NCmountainwoman said...

Loved the story. I once was out for a walk and a car stopped. The driver asked me if she was going north or south. The sun was clearly setting directly to her left. I couldn't help but point that out before telling her she was driving north.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails