Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday Birding

I went birding today and saw a lot more blue birds. I had never heard their call before and it is lovely.
They were a little more skittish than I thought they would be. I had to sneak up on them from a distance for a photo.

Finally one saw me and flew away.

The Grafton Cemetery must have approx 20 Red Winged Blackbirds within their wet lands. I heard a lot of them yesterday but today there were even more. I didn't see any females either so they are males establishing their territory!


A lone male Red Bellied Woodpecker surveys the wetlands from a snag. The wetlands have about 20 snags within the water for perching and that's what makes this place a woodpecker haven.


A male Downy Woodpecker also takes advantage of a snag. I think woodpeckers are some of the most attractive birds out there. Such bright colors!



A Coopers Hawk was flying around the wetlands looking for breakfast. The birds that live in the wet lands were too smart for him and away they flew and hid.

I wish I could say I like daylight savings time, but I don't. It kills me to give up that extra hour and leaves me feeling kind of blue. Keep it one way or the other but don't change the time please, it messes me up to much!!

Have a good Sunday everyone.






7 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

Great bluebird photos, you did some good sneaking up! I haven't seen an Eastern BB...yet! Here's hoping, maybe this year!

Helen said...

Great pictures. I love the soft song of the bluebirds. Helen

Anonymous said...

You have some beautiful pictures today. Thank you for sharing and I am going to try and hear my blue birds song this next week!

Kelly said...

...fun post. I love the bluebird flying away!

Tina said...

What a day you had...and no kneeling in the snow? Your pics are super, love that red wing...it's difficult to catch them with that red so exposed.

....thought about doing facebook..but very much like you..keep thinking it is for the much younger, might have to give it a try..more birders, huh?

Mary said...

Wow...you really saw a lot there and all such good shots!

Heather said...

What pretty little blue birds! I'm glad you got to hear their call - it is lovely, indeed. And I agree about the woodpecker thing - I think the Red-bellies are especially handsome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails