Thursday, June 4, 2009

Falcons & Mirrors

It has been a busy couple of days in downtown Worcester and I have some news for you all. Yesterday was the day that the Dept of Fish & Wildlife came to band the THREE chicks. I couldn't be there unfortunately due to meetings in Boston, but the woman who has been tracking them the entire season was kind enough to email me and give me a summary. All three of the chicks are female and healthy. The parents were none to happy about the whole ordeal but seem to have calmed down some.


Anyhow, neither of the Peregrines landed on top of the roof to our bu idling today due to window washers cleaning our windows. I did manage to have a very cool experience though this afternoon as I saw one fly past my shoulder. It was the female and she was so low that I could hear the wind of her wings. My breath stopped as we made eye contact. She looked at me briefly and I at her and then she went about her business which was getting water from an air conditioner system that has water coming from it. I never knew this was a water source for them so it was a very cool discovery. Don't know how healthy it is for drinking though.

Here is the local downtown drinking fountain for all of the birds. This photo was taken while the female Peregrine was behind the unit drinking her own water.


I have no idea if the Rock Dove saw the Peregrine or not, but thought it was amazing that predator and prey would be drinking in the same water pool at the same time in peace. Birds are amazing creatures I tell you and I learn something new every day. The window washers were busy at work today and happy to see the Peregrine Falcons had calmed down some since yesterday when they were dive bombed three times! Seriously, look at the guy on the left. Can you imagine being in a contraption like that and hanging on the 14th floor of a building only to have a ticked off falcon coming your way!!!!!!! I will never complain about my job again, seriously I won't.



View from my window.

Speaking of windows, I figured I would give you a little view of the area where I get some of my falcon pictures from. This is the nicer section of the floor and offers great views of the city and surrounding suburbs on clear days. The falcons can't perch on this side as there is no ledge, but it does offer a great view of them when they fly around City Hall and the Flagship Building.


The entire floor is covered in mirrors which allows for some pretty funky shots like the one above. The mirrors are angled to allow for some serious tricks on the eyes. So 1970's!

Anyhow, just thought I would give an update. There is a chance I will be getting close up photos next week as I am meeting up with the woman who has tracked the Peregrines for years. She has a window right near the ledge of their nest box and I am going up there to look at them with my own two eyes. To be continued..........as always.






13 comments:

Carol said...

my neighbors dog has access to a pond and fresh water...she prefers the water from a dehumidifier...

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is all fascinating. I can't wait to hear about your next venture to this lady's office.

Adrienne Zwart said...

How exciting! I look forward to hearing about your meeting.

Mary said...

I enjoy catching up with your falcons. This must be so fascinating to watch.

Dawn Fine said...

Excellent..three young gals!
I have been following this continuing episodes since the beginning and I am so pleased that the young seem healthy and have been banded.
Great stuff Kim! How exciting for yo to experience it all.

Deborah Godin said...

Neat to see where all those shots come from! No wonder the birds like it up there, it's a commanding view!

Rick (Ratty) said...

It must have been wonderful to have the falcon fly right past you. It must have made your day.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Kim, Can't wait to hear more about the Falcons. I hope you/they can get some photos of the babies. Keep us posted.

Interesting pictures of the window washers. I wouldn't want that job either.

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Wow. You do live in a nice city or have a nice cityscape. I am sure you have said what city it is but it must be a big one.

Your bird and falcon pics are always nice. And the window washers have their hands full, I guess. I hope nobody gets hurt.

Abraham Lincoln's cousin.

Ginnymo said...

Great post Kim!! I love hearing all about your adventures and the Falcons. Thank you.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for the falcon update. Glad to hear the chicks are doing well.

MaineBirder said...

Excellent update Kim! Such a Shame you couldn't have been there for the banding.

I hope that air conditioning unit is kept clean. Don't know if birds can get Legionaires disease or not.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update.
This post and the photos answers my question I asked in one of the other posts.
I couldn't figure out if you were up on a roof, balcony etc.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails