Monday, May 24, 2010

Peregrine Falcon Update-Chick Banding Next Tuesday

After being on vacation most of last week, I decided to head to work extra early today to take care of backed up work and of course, manage a little time to check on the Peregrine Falcons as I was anxious to see how the chicks were doing. I would see one of them this morning, but sure enough later in the day I would see two.
The adult Peregrines would spend most of their day circling around the nest box and landing back there to keep a watchful eye on the skies.
I was able to capture some of the flight after I went to get a coffee as one of them flew right past me.
While this shot isn't the best, I love it in that it shows its wings in a position I am not accustomed to seeing with a falcon which is bowed. How cool is that!!!
I would decide to go up to the 24th floor to see if I could get a better view of the nest box from there when the female would land on the ledge. I would move to another area of the floor where the sun was a little more favorable (but the shadows couldn't be avoided unfortunately). As I did this her watchful eye would follow my every move.
As cars drove by and people walked the streets of a very busy downtown Worcester.
I also wanted to let you all know that the chicks will be banded next Tuesday, June 1st at the Unum Building lobby for those of you who are interested. The Dept of Fish and Wildlife will arrive at around 1PM or so but I am guessing banding will not take place until 1:15 at the earliest so stop on by if you are around!

Take care all

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like the two bottom photos with the cars below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails