Monday, May 17, 2010

At Least Two Peregrine Falcon Chicks-downtown Worcester

I could tell something was up this morning with the downtown Worcester Peregrine Falcons as I would see both of them on top of City Hall at around 10am or so. I would get out my binoculars and see one of them plucking a Rock Pigeon on top of a fixture, as the other one carried another one to the nest box.

I decided to take a look at the nest box later in the afternoon and I would see what appeared to be a white bird peeking its head out of it so I went up to the 24th floor with Tim from maintenance to see if I could get a better look at it.
The male would be there when we arrived and making its usual goofy faces that always makes me laugh. He would look all around and squack on occasion as he did his parental duty of defending his chicks.
I would not see the female anywhere at this time, but I was able to get a better look at the nest box with my binoculars at this height, and am able to confirm at least TWO Peregrine Falcon chicks. That doesn't mean there are not anymore as this is like dejavu all over again compared to last year when there were two that were always visible and another one in hiding so that may be the case again this year.
I even attempted a photo of the chicks but my camera is only a 15 zoom so this was the best I could manage. If you look at the front of the nest box, you will barely make out one, who is angled to the side an appears to by sitting. There is another one on the side who is sitting as well, but has its face toward the front of the box so it's easier to make out the falcon like form.

So needless to say, I am elated that nesting was successful again this year and now comes the fun part which is watching them in agony as they play a little game of "chicken" on the ledge and Emily and I will watch with butterflies in our stomach hoping one doesn't fall off like last year. Let the fun begin!

Take care all

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Another productive day at work, I see.
But seriously, I like how you have made these an ongoing story, and how you update us from time to time.

MaineBirder said...

Yahoo, the Peregrine Falcons have chicks! This is great to hear Kim!

Excellent photos!

Kim said...

LOL Matt, seriously my productivity at work probably decreases drastically from May to June because I can't concentrate as well. :-0.

Thanks MB, I am so happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails