Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cool Website Alert! Northeast Avian Data Center

I found a cool website for any of you fellow data dweebs who likes to crunch information as much as I do. Anyhow, my new computer has the complete Microsoft Office including Excel and Access so I have been busy building tables by using Hawkcount, eBird, etc.


Anyhow, I happened to come across this site and wanted to share it. Northeast Avian Data Center . This is full of fantastic information from various sources as you can see if you click on this link Explore Data. You can look at raw data using bar charts, Google Earth (wicked cool) and standardized tables.

If you are really geeky and know how to write queries or are good in Excel than you can download entire species information or state information in a raw text format and import it into Excel as a dataset which would be your own mini-data base. You can even access and download the data by state like this example for MA.


The information collected is fed in one file and comes from various sources including:


-Breeding Bird Survey
-eBird
-Great Backyard Bird Count
-Hawk Count
-International Shorebird Survey
-Mountain Birdwatch
-Project Feederwatch


Anyhow, just thought I would share for those of you who are interested.


UPDATE: I noticed the data is only until 2008 so I emailed Marhsall Iliff (from Cornell & eBird) who also runs the data management of this site and he sent me another link that shows detailed and up to date information for all of the states for those of you not in the North East. The link to that is Avian Knowledge Network .This information gets updated every evening if you really have no life.....er....um......I mean if you really are into crunching data.


Take care and I am hoping to do some birding today after work. I am totally getting the "itch"

1 comment:

John B. said...

Thanks for posting this. It looks like an interesting website.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails