Friday, October 5, 2012

Getting ready for 3 days of birding!

It's been a long week at work so haven't had any time to take advantage of fall migration but am officially off for three days now so hoping to get out there and see as much as I can.  I've continued to analyze a lot of the data on Rick's site and while I've always been appreciative of his sight and efforts, I'm even more so now that I've discovered how easy it is to collect it for analysis with the help of "text to columns' and macros via Exel and Access which can take all of the written data and put it into a database without much manual work so figured I'd share a little more of it considering it's community data of sorts so I'm doing my part as of community citizen. So your'e probably wondering by now what the map above shows so let me tell you.   The map above shows September and October sightings only of Great Cormorants.  As you can see these birds are coastal which most of us know and the map proves that but things aren't always as they seem, especially during migration!

So let's look at the data a little more shall we!  The chart above shows Worcester County sightings of the Great Cormorant in with October being the month most sightings are reported.

So with the data from Rick's site coupled with the eBird data, you can find out a bit more which you will see above and not surprising, Wachusett Reservoir is the most likely place you'll encounter one so if you're around there in the next few weeks be sure to give every cormorant a good once over because "you never know what your'e gonna get"!

And finally other birds to be on the look out for when your'e out there this weekend.

Take care all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails