Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Backyard Birding-1st Winter Storm

I decided to take the day off from work due to the weather and other things so it gave me the perfect excuse to stay indoors and watch my feeder birds for really the first time this year. I went to the hardware store and bought additional essentials like suet, sunflower hearts, etc as I figured now was the time to overfeed with the snow covering a lot of their natural food sources. A couple of highlights was the American Tree Sparrow above. I'm not sure if it was the same sparrow from last year but if it was, than it wasn't nearly as skittish as last winter when I was never able to get a picture of it because it flew away too quickly.
And an American Robin coming to my yard sampling some of the wild berries I allow to grow wild in my yard.
I also have an area in my back yard that I allow to grow wild which in turn is what gets me as many sparrows as I have. They flock to my yard in the winter and I don't consider it an eye sore at all as you can see in the photo above.
The American Goldfinches were out in full force as always. I also had my first two Pine Siskins of the year. I am guessing they are the ones that my neighbors reported having in their yard this summer. Got a very good look at the bird in the front of the feeder and it was definitely a siskin so I get my camera ready and off it flies with its friend. Bummer too because it was the same pattern as last year where I would only get two of them and they only came to my feeder during a storm whereas my neighbor would get 20+ of them. Just got off phone w/ neighbor to see if she has had any in her yard recently and she hasn't. Keep you eyes open people though as they appear to be trickling in!
And another American Tree Sparrow shot. Love this one because it shows off that dark central spot of theirs.
And the numerous Dark-eyed Juncos. Had 20 of them in my yard at one point.
My kids favorite backyard bird the Northern Cardinal. They will often text me while I'm at work telling me the female is in the yard which I find pretty impressive considering they're not into birds that much but are learning on their own just by watching the ones outside.
And another American Goldfinch picture. I have been going through a lot of thistle lately and expect it to only get worse. Worth every penny though as they are still so pretty even in winter.
Lastly, a photo below that shows some odd molting of one I have never seen before that I can remember.
Take care all

8 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

What a variety you are getting. I love winter birds! So glad you feed them.

FAB said...

Nice selection of back yard visitors Kim...good to see you haven't forgotten them. Cheers FAB.

Kelly said...

....I love all of your kitchen window birds. Your American Tree Sparrows are at your feeders. Last winter I had a flock of 20, but so far this year, I've had none. I hope they arrive soon. Glad you were able to stay home and watch them!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Kim, It's great to hear from you. Seems you are still into your birding fulltime.

Love your backyard birds. I have almost the same ones minus the Juncos and Sparrows. We have tons of Goldfinches and House Finches (Pine Siskins aren't here this year YET), Cardinals, Carolina Wrens, Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, and Nuthatches---along with our Red-bellied and Downy woodpeckers.

Hope you are doing well.. We are fine and still hiking and searching for waterfalls.

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

We have a few birds left but it was awfully windy here yesterday and lots of rain the day before. I think they were blown away. I noticed the hawks and crows had a terrible time flying yesterday.

Today we got 18° and snowing. Not good but we got seed out and fresh water.

Your photos are very nice. It looks like your birds are doing OK in the same kind of weather that we got.

Rich said...

What a great back yard!

Brooks Rownd said...

What?!?! No chickadee!?!? :)

Rambling Woods said...

The feeders have been busy. I won't be sad if the siskins don't show up this winter as I was going through a huge amount of thistle and with 30 ports available, there were still birds waiting and it was the more timid goldfinch.....Michelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails