Sunday, August 30, 2009

Forbush Bird Club-Plum Island


The Forbush Bird Club went on their annual trip to Plum Island today and despite the cloudy and rather cold start to the day the sun did manage to come out which made for a very nice day with quite a few awesome birds.
Including this adorable and extremely hyper bird which is a Buff-breasted Sandpiper.
The bird was not at all shy and was all by itself in some marsh grass having a little breakfast as over a dozen or so birders gawked at it. While it was not a coy bird it was indeed an active bird so getting a clear look at it was rather difficult at times due to its constant moving and the tall grass it appeared to like to forage in.
According to my Peterson guide this Sandpiper is a "tame, buffy bird with erect stance, small head, short bill and yellowish legs" and we did indeed get to experience all of that while we were observing it.
Deciding to pose for the camera without the grass in the way!
And my favorite shot that I was lucky enough to get. The white underwings of this bird is one of its more distinct field marks so I so happy I was able to get a record shot of it! Great bird and a life bird for me to boot.
Lookie here folks, my favorite bird of all the Peregrine Falcon! This one is a juvenile and was one of at least two that were seen there. I was wondering for one brief moment if it could have been one of the young from Worcester as I don't see them anymore but the three juvenile Peregrine Falcons from Worcester are all banded with Y-50's and this one was banded with a 77.
So nice to see a Peregrine Falcon perched on a tree instead of a building which is how I am so used to seeing them. In fact, when I first saw the bird I didn't think Peregrine Falcon at all as have never seen them outside of a city so it just didn't click that yes they do indeed venture out in the wild just as they should! ;-)
Scores of birders were able to get a good look at the Peregrine as it flew from the tree and toward the water to try and find a meal.
It would do a circle around the water only to return to the same snag.
It was never successful in getting brunch but it got an A+ for trying!
Shocking though considering there were thousands of Tree Swallows at Plum Island today so it wasn't like birds were scarce!
We were able to get really close to a family of Whimbrel's too, who were so consumed in eating that they didn't seem to mind us getting rather close to them.
In fact, I'm not even sure if they noticed us as birders set up their scopes and talked amongst themselves. I absolutely love the markings on its back and wings as well as the striped crown. Awesome bird to see again after South Beach as I didn't think I would be lucky to see another this year.
Lousy shot of a Gadwall but wanted to post it for a couple of reasons. One, because the picture was able to pick up the white speculum nicely (something Fran was telling us to look for as a distinct field mark) and two, I wanted you to see the Tree Swallows as there were many pictures I took today where they just magically appeared in the picture. There were literally thousands of these birds at Plum Island today so it was hard not to get them in pictures because they were everywhere.
My obligatory picture of a Semipalmated Plover that I always get a picture of whenever I am near shorebirds.

A couple of shots of a Great Egret. There were quite a few of them at Plum Island and they were mixed in with some Snowy Egrets as well.
One of three Greater Yellowlegs we saw near Hellcat.
Check it out all, more Tree Swallows! Seriously, I wonder what the other birds thought of all this activity as they would come in real close to the other birds and they were non-stop. Does it phase the other birds at all or do they get used to it after a couple of hours. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm..............................
Another Greater Yellowlegs shot that I liked
Lastly, since I began this post with a picture of Tree Swallows, I thought I would end it that way too as we too saw them the moment we arrived and they were the last bird we saw when we left!!! Special thanks for John Shea for an awesome trip!!

Take care all!

12 comments:

Rich said...

The pictures are great but I like the way you tell about the places and birds best.

Amy said...

Sounds like a great outing, Kim! Sorry, but I'm laughing at your surprise at seeing a Peregrine in a tree! That's so funny! I don't get to see Peregrines very often, mostly I see them in blogs actually! And yes they are mostly on buildings! LOL

Helen said...

Great shots of a lot of different kinds of birds. You did good. Helen

Anonymous said...

Wow, a great day of birding!

Chris Petrak said...

I especially like your BBSA & WHIM - it's been a few years since I had a similar encounter with the buff. Special events!

Hilke Breder said...

Great shots - particularly of the buff-breasted sandpiper! I love reading your blog, Kim.

Tina said...

Such a nice photo of that buff-breasted sandpiper as it opened its wings to stretch..looks like you had a very nice variety of birds and I'm glad the day turned out to be a nice one weather-wize!

NCmountainwoman said...

How lucky for us that you linked up with the Forbush Bird Club. Love the areas you take us to.

Christopher said...

Ack - can't believe I didn't leave a comment when I read this before. Also - I thought I saw you at Sandy Point but wasn't sure, so just kinda kept to myself... should've just shouted "Kallen" and see if you looked up! LOL.
Glad you had another great day on P.I. - that Buff-breasted Sandpiper was really cool, and the Peregrine's are always fun.

I hope you don't mind - I linked to your post in mine, as I think you describe things quite well, and your enthusiasm and excitement really make your blog a joy to visit.

Kim said...

Next time Christopher, I just know it! Were you with the photographers I was near taking the flight shots? There were so many people and so many birds that I get confused which isn't too hard for me to do! Would have loved to have met you and your wife though.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://toderavah.kogaryu.com/vucode.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://iwecomim.freewaywebhost.com/nemymi.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails