Sunday, May 19, 2013

More Spring Migration Birding

I'd do more birding this past week and would take Thursday off to do some birding with Alan and one of our first stops would be the place the Worm-eating Warbler is known to breed.  After some patience and pishing it would be obvious the bird wasn't around so hope it's just late in arriving and will show up soon.

Next would be Little Chauncey to Big Chauncey in Westborough where the wind would be fierce keeping the birds out of view.  We did spot a flycatcher though and we couldn't get the bird to sing so have no idea if it was a Willow or Alder which was very frustrating but were happy none the less that they are starting to arrive.

We'd finally make our way to Big Chauncey where we'd get our 1st pocket of birds including Yellow-rumped Warbler, American Redstart, Warbling Vireo and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher like the goofy one above.  Love this photo as he looks "bugged out"

Tiger Swallowtail on the way out feeding on mud which is something I've never seen before so it was nice to learn something new.

We'd both head home and then head to Bolton Flats for Bart's Forbush trip and be thrilled to get the Common Gallinule as well as three White-crowned Sparrows like the one above.  After that the bird club would hit Pine Hill Road where we'd be dismayed to see there was a fire there last week and some habitat to the right right at the main start of the path is burnt so it will be interesting to see what that habitat is like next year.  Dawn was there and she'd pick out a Common Nighthawk flying above which made for a sweet and early FOY.  Other FOY's for both Alan and I would be American Woodcock and Eastern Whip-poor-will.

There'd be another Forbush Bird Club trip Saturday in the Millbury area lead by Alan.  We'd all meet at the Millbury Bike Path where there'd already be many birds including the Warbling Vireo above.  Bonus bird toward the beginning of the path would be an Orchard Oriole Dan had spotted which was a treat and part of a continuing trend county wide as these birds appear to be everywhere compared to last years anemic numbers.

Canada Geese and goslings on the Blackstone River.

We'd just finish looking at a Blackpoll Warbler when a sandpiper would be spotted (pun intended) and we'd all assume Spotted at first considering that's who is usually around here but be thrilled to find out it was a Solitary.

A treat and nice FOY.

Next would be Sutton for the Grasshopper Sparrow and sure enough it would be around and in view allowing all trip members a nice view.

We'd hit Brierly next where we'd add to the list including the Scarlet Tanager above and some Ruby-throated Humminbirds.  Bonus bird of this spot would be a Canada Warbler Dan spotted which was a first in this spot that I know of.

I'd head back out on my own after lunch and the mid day lull with two goals in mind.  1.  Work on my patience when it comes to birding.  I'd noticed a pattern with Dan and his method of birding which is the fact that he lingers around areas instead of rushing through which is something I know I do.  His patience paid off when he got the Canada so figured if it works for him than it may for me!  2.  Swainson's Thrush.  The bird I had as my ring tone for 6 months last year and one I didn't have for the county so was hoping Saturday would be the day that would change!  I'd first go to Butler Farm in Millbury where I'd spot another Common Nighthawk flying by.  My patience paid off as I got really nice looks at a Red-eyed Vireo, Wood Thrush and two Ovenbirds with one on the ground which was funny to see.

Cedar Waxwings on the apple trees which is always nice on the eyes!

One of two Chestnut-sided Warblers who'd be busy gathering nesting material.  I'd head out deep in the woods in hopes for a Swainson's and once again get lost which is a common thing whenever I venture into Brierly alone.  It paid off in the end though as the wrong path was the right path when I spotted the Barred Owl flying by as I flushed it out.  Other highlight would be the many Yellow-rumped Warblers near the pond as well as an Eastern Wood-peewee.

After finding my way out I'd be happy to see my first soaring Broad-winged Hawk of the year which is always nice and was happy I could ID it only seconds after getting my bins on it due to it being in a nice position with the sun just right.  I'd continue to go deep in the woods keeping my ears out for a Swainson's and soon enough I'd hear one deep in the woods!  Out would come the camera in hopes for an Audio record shot and be happy to get it even if it was a little far out.



You'll have to turn up the volume on you computer some most likely as it was far out but I'd be happy it was close enough to capture via the camera as it's a song I've longed for since early last year.  A sweet FOY and I'd be happy my persistence paid off in the end and I'd be rewarded with its lovely song.

Take care all.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails