Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pre Work Birding & More FOY's!

I'd get up extra early this morning to get out and do a little birding before work with the 1st stop being Leesville Pond hoping the Pied-billed Grebe was still around and as soon as I stepped out of the car I'd be greeted with song from many birds including the earliest of them all the American Robin.

I'd get there as the sun was rising and be thrilled to see two Green-winged Teal nearby (including a handsome drake) that still looked sleepy as they started searching for breakfast.  The photo above was the best I could manage without any day light and didn't want to use flash to startle them.

It wouldn't take long to find a small pocket of song birds including three Palms who'd be in lower tree cover and even foraging in leaf littler at times which made for some nice warbler birding compared to what's to come in less than a month!

Another warbler would also cut me a break and be at mid tree level which would be this FOY cooperative Yellow-rumped Warbler!

Such beauties in the spring but do wish it would have sang a little as this song was the one last year that always got me so would have appreciated a refresher!

There'd be no Grebe so decided to hit Notre Dame considering it wasn't even 7 AM yet so figured I could make a quick stop and be very happy to pick up a FOY Yellow-bellied Sapsucker as I put these birds into the category of "getting by chance" and the ones that drive me crazy if I don't have them by fall as who doesn't!.  Sometimes you don't though as your'e not in the right place at the right time so it was nice to be both this morning!

I'd decide to hit Institute Park at lunch hoping again for a Pied-billed Grebe which I'd strike out on again of course, but there'd be plenty of blackbirds around including the Red-winged above.  FYI, if your'e ever looking for good places to get pictures of blackbirds, Institute Park is the place to be around lunch time as the sun is perfect and the birds fairly close by.  Add to that they're kind of tame as they live in a park and it's a win/win for photo taking!

The female Hooded Mergs  Rick reported on yesterday have doubled in count as Ihad 20 of them as well as two Mallards but that was it for ducks.

Now the rain comes but not complaining at all as I saw the potential for snow on Friday and that's seemed to  have blown over so I'll take the rain at this point!  Spring is getting here but not as quickly as I'd like.

Take care all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails