Sunday, April 21, 2013

I'd do very little birding this weekend as I'm doing an official spring cleaning this year and doing so now vs. May when I don't feel like doing anything but birding.  Despite not being out much I did get some nice FOY's with three of them being Bolton Flats yesterday late afternoon with Alan.  We'd run into Dale and then Dawn and she'd stick around so the three of us birded.

There'd be quite a few shorebirds including the Dunlin above who would fly to the other area the lone Least Sandpiper was at as well as three Pectoral Sandipers.

Great photo Alan took through digiscoping of the Dunlin and as you can see they're still rather drab looking but pretty just the same.


Another great photo of Alan's which was the Least Sandpiper.


We'd also be lucky enough to spot the Virginia Rail nearby.


Before it lurked back into hiding!

Another highlight would be a hovering Osprey which is always nice.  Despite it being a tad "brisk" outside it was still nice to get out for fresh air after spending most of the day cleaning.


I had to head to Home Depot today and decided to go to the one in Shrewsbury to allow me to bird a couple spots in Wetborough with one of them being Sueasco where I'd spot one of the two Brown Thrasher's as soon as I got out of my car.  I'd have him right where I wanted for a photo until a large poodle came barreling down the path barking away which scared the thrasher back into cover where he is in this picture.  Welcome to spring in Westborough!  Seriously think these folks walk their dogs more than any other in Worcester county as the place would be packed with them.


Next would be Mill Pond where I wouldn't see much except two Canada Geese including the funky looking one above.  At first I thought it was my eyes with the sun and then I thought hybrid but it never gave me that vibe so am thinking it's a little leucistic at the top of the head.

I'd head to Big Chauncey next and would hear the familiar and missed call of "sweet' sweet, little more sweet".  Despite it clearly being  a Yellow Warbler, song,  I'd question it considering it's still April but soon enough one would pop out for a record shot.  I'd have three of them all together and think this is the earliest I've ever gotten this bird which was nice.

The place would be packed with warblers including quite a few Yellow-rumps like the one above.  Should note I got my bins on one for a quick split second before it flew off and at first glance I could have sworn I saw a yellow throat so I'd spend a considerable amount of time trying to re locate it.


Which of course I never did so figure it's another case of "wishful thinking" on my part!  I did see a butter butt on a horizontal branch with moss and there'd by dozens of tiny, flying insects around which the bird was inhaling!  I'd look up a half glass more and right along side it would be a Savannah Sparrow making it a first for me to have these two birds together in one view which was nice considering I've never seen a Savannah behaving more like a warbler!


And of course, there'd be quite a few Palm Warblers like the one above.

The trend of bizarre finds would continue as I'd see one long drake Ring-necked Duck hanging out with two Mute Swans as if they were a family.  So funny seeing how small he looks compared to the swan.

I'd search around for his flock and wouldn't find any so don't know what his deal is but he appeared healthy and was eating so maybe he got stuck somewhere and is doing migration alone.  Of course while watching them two people in a boat would wind up going right to where they were and actually shoot out their fishing line directly toward the swans and ducks.  While I'm by no means a fan of these swans as they've taken over many of the small ponds our native water fowl inhabit I couldn't help feeling angry as the ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me.  Between that and the woman trail running with her Ipod at full blast I consider the gift of birding even more precious as it's nice to be aware of the feathered friends who share this earth with us.

Take care all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails