Sunday, October 3, 2010

Weekend Birds and Other Nature Finds

I did some trail running this weekend and finally figured out a way to carry my camera as well as only a few other essential items in my pack which will still allow me to run fast, but have instant access to my necessities and I realize that my camera is in fact a necessity so sacrifice a water for the camera instead and so far so good.
Anyhow, yesterday was just gorgeous weather wise and I would do almost 12 miles of running in total which allowed for plenty of areas to explore and some of them new to me which is always nice when you have your camera near by.
Leaves are now all over the trail and I stopped for some water and decided to get a macro photo of some of the leaves.
I would stop at an area as I had a gut feeling birds would like the spot due to the sunshine and sure enough there would be about 12 American Robins mixed in with a couple of Dark-eyed Junco and this lone Palm Warbler. I tried pishing it more so it would stick around for a better photo but it wanted to part of that.
Cool fungi shot taken from a log that was in the middle of the path that I almost tripped over.
Another cool shroom picture.
I would finally come to an open field hoping the Common Ravens I kept hearing while running in the woods would be around but I wouldn't see them. I did see the last of the clover still attempting to hang one for one last day or two.
There would be Eastern Phoebes everywhere on Saturday. I stopped for each and everyone of them because soon enough, I will miss them terribly.
I finally made my way to another part of the trail that I had never been to before and it would connect to a nearby powerline and it would be here that I could hear those Common Ravens again. I looked up to the sky and there would be four of them. Hoping they are the young from the nest of the other nearby powerlines because if they are then they all survived.
Another shroom picture as I just can't help myself.
Sunday would be another powerline trail run and this time only 3 miles as I was feeling it from yesterdays longer run. The weather would be a depressing 45 degrees and it would be pretty quiet.
The fall colors here though were gorgeous.


There would be pockets of birds here and there and it was nice to see this White-throated Sparrow. Also note worthy is that the first year Song Sparrows were out in this area all trying to sing their song and messing it up mid verse which always makes me laugh. Such funny little birds!
Bumble bee shot.
This bee would be part of a group of about 6 or so who were all clustered amongst the Goldenrod. Not sure what they were doing but they almost seemed to be still in an effort to conserve body heat with the temps as low as they were. I felt bad for them as I know its only going to get worse, but it did make for some nice photos though.
While I wouldn't feel overly motivated to run, this Cooper's Hawk helped to put a little spring in my step for a while. Almost looks as if it has a full crop here but not sure.
A couple of Blue Jays were giving chase to the Coops as I gave chase to them both which is always fun to do.
Flowers going to seed after a nice, long summer.
Take care all.

3 comments:

Jen Sanford said...

So many great photos! Looks like a beautiful place to go running...

Nicole MacP said...

WOW! That first picture is absolutely incredible!

Chris Petrak said...

What a beautiful and varied series of photographs. Nice work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails